BUILD YOUR OWN BEAUTY REGIME WITH FOOD!
You can build your own beauty regime with food! Most of the foods mentioned here are known as “nutritionally healthy” ones, but now you have another reason to include them in your daily diet…to look good!
THE POWER OF ANTIOXIDANTS
Research supports the role of key nutrients in maintaining a youthful appearance. Vitamins C and E, for example, are essential to healthy skin. Vitamins C and E are antioxidants that help encourage skin cell turnover and collagen formation. Broccoli, tomatoes, carrots, garlic, spinach, citrus fruits, red peppers, Brussels sprouts, beets, and strawberries are all rich in vitamin C. Vitamin E is found in almonds, avocados, olive oil, and dark, leafy vegetables. Include these things in your daily meals plans.
If you want to look good and be healthy, green vegetables are a must in your diet! We are not talking about iceberg lettuce on your take-out burger! Green vegetables contain Vitamins A, E, fiber, and iron. Vitamin E helps to maintain the skin’s elasticity. Vitamin A works in retaining moisture of the skin, mucous membrane and eyes. Iron is crucial for the production of red blood cells.
All fat is not bad for the body. Good fats help in the functioning of the body cells and provide nourishment and improve the condition of skin, hair, nails, and hormones. Good sources of good fatty acids are olive, canola and soy oil, nuts, seeds, avocados, and fish such as salmon.
Soy is rich in antioxidants, Vitamin E, and amino acids. It helps to maintain the smoothness, softness, and elasticity of the skin and may help you look more youthful.
Point blank – water is an extremely important nutrient for health and beauty. It helps keep you hydrated, cleanse your body of toxins, eliminate waste, and assists with metabolism. Water will help give your skin a healthy glow and all Hauser Diet Types can have as much as they want! Pass the lemon slices, please!
MORE TIPS TO KEEP IN MIND FOR A MORE BEAUTIFUL YOU!
1. Follow your appropriate Hauser Diet Type. Each Hauser Diet allows differing amounts of fat, however, when you choose to eat fats, no matter what your Diet Type, make sure to include good fats like those found in seafood, olive oil, and nuts in order to help your skin, hair, nails, and joints stay healthy! Avoid refined and simple carbohydrates, which can cause insulin spikes and breakouts. Most of these “junk” foods also contain a lot of chemicals that the body has to detoxify and get rid of. Lessening the stress load on the body can help you stay young. Strengthen nails by including biotin-rich foods in your diet, such as cooked eggs, soybeans, and rice bran.
2. Set goals. Be reasonable with your goals and stick to them. Are you looking to have more energy? Decrease one pants size? Run a 5K race? All of the above? Giving yourself some goals will help motivate you to work toward them.
3. Take a picture of yourself and post it somewhere you will see it. This is your “before” picture.
4. Time to start – yup! You can’t just write things down or want to do them, you have to DO them. Pick a start date and then …yup, START!
5. Start an exercise program. I cannot stress this enough. The benefits of exercising are numerous. I cannot tell you how happy I am with exercising at least five days per week. I have made some tremendous friends from my cycling and running groups. Part of the exercise experience becomes spending time with your friends, and the exercise is just an added benefit! Here are some benefits of regular exercise that I have personally seen:
- Improves strength
- Improves cardiovascular health
- Improves endurance and longevity
- Makes you happier and gives you a positive outlook
- Gives you an opportunity to do something with friends
- Gets you outside in the sunshine which improves Vitamin D status, as well as mood.
- Makes you look and feel younger
- Gives you more confidence
- Gets you out meeting more people.
6. Start a journal. Some people love to do this because it allows them to see their progress. You don’t have to document your entire food diary or exercise regimes, but if you write down generalities, you will be able to track your progress and show how far you have come.
7. Learn how to cook! This is one of my absolute pet peeves. People need to learn how to make good basic foods. If you never learned, now is the time. Why? The food is far better tasting, far better quality, and far less expensive than those pre-made chemically enhanced pseudo foods! You may not agree with these statements but #1 and 2 can happen once you learn how to cook, and #3 is absolutely true – because I have had to cost out recipes in many of my classes in dietetics. I’ll show you a comparison in one of my upcoming newsletters. So watch for that! There is no excuse. If you can read, you can cook. End of story.
8. Eat real food! Okay, let’s get serious here! I cannot tell you how important it is to eat real food. I want you to dump the packaged, microwavable, instant, fat-free, sugar-free fake foods. Shop along the periphery of the stores. This means fresh foods. You say you don’t have time for this? Make time. It’s worth it for your health and longevity. You can never underestimate the power of food. Once you know your Hauser Diet Type you will know what foods you need to eat in what proportions. But in general, you should be eating fresh vegetables, fresh poultry, fish and/or meats, whole grains, occasional organic dairy and fruits, and cut out most sugar and sugary foods. If most Americans did this, most Americans would be far healthier.
9. Get rid of soda and other sugar-laden drinks! Colas contain phosphorus that leaches out the calcium in your bones. We already have enough problems with osteoporosis in this country. We don’t need to add to it by drinking so much soda. Regular soda contributes to tooth decay which can lead to needing expensive and painful dental work. Yuck! Who wants that? Excessive sugar intake worsens concentration and mental fog and enhances behavioral problems such as ADD and ADHD. Kids are getting more out of shape more quickly than the previous generation. I attribute a lot of this to their excessively high consumption of soda and sugary drinks. Drink water or herbal tea instead.