As you know, we at the Hauser Diet strongly recommend fresh, organic, whole foods in their most natural forms, avoiding foods with chemicals, dyes, fillers, preservatives, and other things that can put your body under stress. Just as your car runs best on good quality gasoline, feeding your body proper fuel is key to ensuring that it runs properly.
Over-stimulating your body with the wrong foods can actually harm it! Yup! That’s what we have been trying to tell you! Let’s take thyroid problems, for example. Most patients who end up being diagnosed with hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone levels) exhibit some or all of these symptoms: fatigue, brain fog, cold hands and feet, thinning hair, dry skin, unintentional weight gain, constipation, brittle nails, joint or muscle pain, and weakness.
Common foods that over-stimulate the thyroid gland:
In addition to eating organic, natural, fresh foods, and eating according to your particular Diet Type, we have found that many people with thyroid problems are consuming a large amount of thyroid-stimulating foods, and lower amounts of foods that stimulate the adrenals and gonads. Hence, you feel tired and worn out and never feel quite right.
Eating too many dairy products, fried foods, sugar and sugar-containing foods, soft drinks, coffee, pasta, and white bread products can contribute to the weight gain, low energy levels, stress, and fatigue associated with the over-stimulated thyroid. Over-stimulating the thyroid gland with these foods, along with stress, can lead your thyroid to a state of exhaustion and imbalance.
What should I do if I suspect I have low thyroid levels?
Make an appointment at Caring Medical for a comprehensive natural medicine evaluation with Dr. Hauser. What are you waiting for? Don’t let your body get more and more tired, thinking each day you are going to wake up and feel better! Something is going on – and we want to help you fix it!
1. Get Diet Typing! Figure out of the right diet for you is higher protein, vegetarian, or somewhere in the middle.
2. Exclude simple carbohydrates and sugars from your diet, such as white bread, white pasta, white rice, cookies, cakes, desserts, soda, alcohol, and the like. This can include eating too much fruit and ignoring vegetables. These two foods are not equal. It is better to choose vegetables over fruit because of the high sugar in fruit.
3. Fresh foods! Start eating foods that are organic, fresh, and free of chemicals and preservatives. Pre-packaged foods contain chemicals and dyes that your already stressed body has to process. Give your body the purest form of fuel possible, including foods such as fresh vegetables, whole grains and rice, eggs, and organic meats and fish. Every Hauser Diet uses these foods effectively! To know what proportions of carbohydrate to fat to protein you need, #2 will take care of that!
4. Add some spice to your foods, such as garlic and chili peppers, which have pro-thyroid properties in and of themselves.
5. Reduce the stress in your life! We know that this is not always easy, but it could be killing you. So think twice if your job is giving you an ulcer or if certain relationships only contribute negativity. Time for a change!
Never underestimate the power of food! Food is meant to nourish and strengthen the body. If you suspect you may be harming your body with the foods you’re eating, it’s time to stop – now!
FOODS THAT WILL HELP HIGHER PROTEIN DIET TYPES STRENGTHEN THEIR THYROID FUNCTION:
- Meat: beef, chicken, pork, lamb
- Eggs – whole, organic eggs!
- Nuts and seeds: sunflower seeds, walnuts, almonds, cashews, soy nuts
- Fats and oils: olive oil, canola oil, avocados, nitrate-free bacon
- Green leafy vegetables: spinach, collard greens, mesculin greens