This vegan pasta sauce is really healthy and delicious. Just a few ingredients make this a tasty alternative to traditional creamy sauces! Instead of regular pasta, consider serving on “Zoodles” – aka zucchini noodles or sweet potato noodles! This recipe is especially great for those who are dairy sensitive or allergic and still want to experience creamy pasta! Give is a try!
Butternut Squash Creamy Pasta Sauce
- 4 strips Applewood bacon, cut into pieces
- 3 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 cup broth, vegetable or chicken
- 1 ½ Tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1 ½ Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 cup milk, (or non-dairy version – almond or soy)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 # pasta (or zoodles)
- Garnish options: pesto, sliced pecorino cheese, balsamic glaze, fresh herbs
What to do:
- Melt butter in large skillet and saute onion for 1-2 min.
- Add garlic, saute for 30 seconds, stir in squash, broth, sage and thyme. Stir and cover. Cook until fork tender, about 8-10 min.Transfer to blender or food processor along with milk.
- Blend until smooth. Add more milk if needed. Salt/Pepper.
- While sauce is cooking, cook bacon for about 4-5 minutes.
- Cook pasta until al dente. Drain.
- Pour pasta into pan with sauce. Stir and serve. Top with bacon.
- Garnish with desired toppings.